What I'm cooking and eating

28 December 2012

Carrot, lentil and split pea soup

In the interests of remembering how I did it!

1 tbs olive oil
2 small onions, peeled and chopped
5 large carrots, ditto

1 tsp each cumin and coriander seeds, ground in a pestle & mortar
Pinch asafoetida
1/3 cup (approx  80 ml by volume) each of red lentils and  split peas
Salt, pepper, soya sauce
1 tsp tahini

1 vegetable Stock Pot
1.5 litres water

To serve (optional): 1 small tin petits pois and/or 1 small tin sweetcorn or equivalent amount of frozen sweetcorn

Pound the seeds in a pestle and mortar until they are powder.  Fry this, the asafoetida, the onions and the carrots for a few minute in the oil.  Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the split peas are soft.  Now run all this through the blender, put it back in the pan, add the peas or sweetcorn (if using) and bring back to the boil.  Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.

I do love the mouthfeel that both carrots and lentils bring to a soup.  And this was particularly good on an evening when nobody was very hungry, but we all wanted/needed a light meal!

8 comments:

  1. I've got everything but the asafoetida - never ever used it - and want something light and nourishing for tomorrow night ... is it crucial/should I get some?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely not crucial - nor is the tahini, come to that! Season it as pleases you....

      Delete
    2. Thanks! What is it like? I've heard of it before, but never knowingly had any.

      Delete
    3. PS - and I thought I'd use chicken stock ...

      Delete
    4. Chicken stock fine - I prefer veggie, and anyway, one of my dinner guests from last night is almost completely vegan, but lots of people make all their soup with chicken stock.

      Asafoetida smells vile if you just sprinkle it; you have to fry it in a little oil first, at which point it goes sort of leeky-oniony-garlicy. I just added it as I couldn't be bothered to find the garlic (just back after Christmas and rather tired - it was whatever was easiest!).

      Delete
    5. Thanks - other half is an unreconstructed carnivore, so as I'll be making a batch for just the 2 of us, I'll use some of the chicken carcase stock I have Blue Peter-ed in the freezer and throw in some garlic, which I tend to do anyway, as we both love it, and always have it around.
      Don't think I'll bother to look for asafoetida in that case [the name rather gives away the likely smell, anyway, doesn't it!]

      Delete
    6. It does rather! It's a good addition to Indian food, though.

      Delete
  2. I did it - sort of - see http://stitchwords.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/in-soup-how-not-to-follow-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete